Today, in church, the preaching was about love since it’s the beginning of the love month. The Pastor discussed “love at first sight” – how great that feeling is, how magical it seems and how one may think it’s true love. Then Pastor went on and asked how would you really know it’s true love when you feel in love at first sight? Most would answer “I just know”.
And the Pastor pointed out that true love is summarized in this one verse from Paul.
- Demonstrates – it shows one’s love for that person, something tangible i.e. you would go to great lengths just for the one you love
- Loves beyond imperfections – despite the other person’s flaws, their past, their weaknesses, and all the other negative stuff, you still love them
- It dies to self – it’s not selfish and puts the welfare of the loved one above their own
Lord, indeed, Your love is unfathomable and great. Even if we are sinners, You still loved us – so much that You even sacrificed Your own Son for us. Yours is a love that’s unconditional and sacrificial. You know no limits to the love You can give. So, Lord, I pray that I may be able to love like the way You do – even a bit of that kind of love. I want to learn to love despite the imperfections. I want to die to myself and be selfless . Give me the grace, Lord, to love truly – especially my husband and my child. I have understood how You love us, so I ask that You’ll show me how to love like You do. I know it’s a difficult task but because the love I have comes from You, then it should not be a problem.
I love the way You love me, Lord. I love the way You love us. And I pray that I could love the way You do.
This I ask in the most lovely name of your son, Jesus. Amen.
- God Loves You and Understands You (jesuscarriesme.com)
- Love Is The Opposite of Control and Dependency-2a (gospelbondservant.com)